The bravest little fighter

Stanley was rescued by Anette from Second Chance Sanctuary when she was on her way to the bank on a very cold, wet and miserable day. Stan had been screaming his little lungs out and everyone had just ignored his pleas for help. After we got him warmed up, we noticed that his breathing was extremely bad, and getting worse, so we rushed him off to Brighton Beach Veterinary Clinic. He was too skinny and weak for them to do an x-ray, but it was thought that poor Stan may have been kicked, causing some bruising on the lungs, he was admitted and steroid and anti-biotic treatment started in the hopes of getting his breathing sterilised. He quickly went downhill, and the decision was made to take a chance and do the x-ray, our worst fears were confirmed – poor little Stanley had a terrible diaphragmatic hernia, his liver had pushed right through into the abdominal cavity, pushing the lungs, heart, oesophagus, trachea into his spinal column.

The vets were extremely worried to do the surgery because little Stan was so unstable, but they finally decided that the surgery would be set for 4 July, and it would be performed by Dr Swarts, whom I had all the faith in. This is when all the sponsors stepped in, donations came from everywhere, there were even people that did not even know the whole story that decided to donate, prayers and well wishes were plentiful, but even through this, the morning of the 4th, I had a HUGE knot in my stomach, I just kept sending him messages to keep breathing. At 1pm, I got the call from Dr Swarts, saying that the surgery was a success, and that he is busy waking up. He said that there would be a 5 percent chance of post op infections. He also gave me the run-down of everything that could go wrong, and that he is not out of the woods yet. Well, at that point, I honestly didn’t care, in my mind he had gone through the worst and if he could survive the surgery that in all honestly, he shouldn’t have survived, then he would make it.

Stanley came home the day after surgery (the vet was confident with my ability to care for him), he was still not eating, and looked very sorry for himself. I must admit that I lacked the patience that he would still be down after surgery, after all – if a human went through this surgery, they would probably be in ICU for a few days, I just expected him to be fine after I was force feeding him with Hills a/d, that was sponsored by Hills Pet Nutrition to keep his strength up because he was not eating on his own. Eventually I decided to give poor Stan a break to heal, but about 4 days after the surgery, I saw a change in his breathing, he was hospitalised again for observation. It was suspected that Stan had developed Interstitial Pneumonia, but it could not be confirmed because the pneumonia was still in the early phase. The thing with interstitial pneumonia is that it is hard to diagnose, because the lungs seem completely clear. It was decided that I would take him home to continue force feeding through the night. That night he started gasping for air, and we rushed him through to the emergency vet, he was placed on oxygen for the night. It was a terrible experience, knowing that there was nothing we could do to help him; we didn’t even know if he would make it through the night to be transported to our vets.

Anette drove through the next morning, and collected Stanley – thankfully he was still alive! He was handed over to our capable vets at Brighton Beach and put back onto oxygen. Then they started the treatment to try and pull little Stanley through, not only had Stan developed the interstitial pneumonia, but also snuffles on top of everything, his breathing was severely compromised. Eventually, a treatment plan was found that he responded to, and he was released back into our care.

Stan finally started eating a little on his own and we supplement fed him, he started grooming himself, but was not playing yet. One more anti-biotic was added, and voila! On 17 July, Stanley started running around and playing, he was eating up a storm and seemed to be enjoying life for the first time. We would now have to teach him to play properly because he had missed out during the prime socialisation period. On 19 July we took him for a check-up and he had gained a whopping 200g from when the vets saw him three days before when he was discharged, he was weighed again on 22 July, and had gained another 240g since the last weigh in!

On 22 July, Dr Swarts finally felt that is was time to confirm that the surgery was a success, and that Stanley would survive – those words were like music to my ears, I was a proud mommy with a bubbling heart at that moment! My dear boy had made it!!!

Mid April 2014, Stanley started getting weak, and showed signs of jaundice, he was immediately hospitalised and he started responding to treatment by the second day. On the second day of his hospitilisation I went to visit him and was so happy to see my boy full of life and chatting up a storm, although he was not eating I was hopeful that he would make it through and that it was just a bad infection.

By late April poor Stan had started deteriorating to a point where he would not eat and was so depressed, he was hospitalised again and was once again in the capable care of all the Brighton Beach Staff where he was finally diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma of the liver.  Unfortunately his weight just carried on dropping, and despite all the effort, we decided to let our little ray of sunshine go to the butterfly meadow on 8 May 2014, never to suffer again The 9 months that we had the pleasure of knowing him will never be forgotten.

We would like to thank the following people that were a huge part of his life from the beginning to the end.

Dr Swarts, Dr Morris, Dr Mangera, Jean, Sandy, Natasha, Bianca, Entebeni and Michael of Brighton Beach Veterinary Clinic.

Farrah Maharaj – his virtual mom who was always there for support, love, prayers and emotional backup, and who was just as distraught as us when we lost him.
All the people that donated funds toward Stanleys surgery, pre-op as well as post op care, as well as his hospitalisation in the end.
All the prayer chains and well wishers, as well as the visitors that Stan received when he went to work with me
My friends and support system on Facebook who was standing on the sidelines cheering for me and Stan all the way!
All od Stanley’s fans – too many to name.

And finally, Anette, my dear mom, who seldom gets recognition for the hard work that she does at the sanctuary, I love you!


Rest In Peace our Dearest Love

Gone but Never Forgotten


Make a free website with Yola